Monumental Park of Pinocchio
Via S. Gennaro, 3
51012 Collodi - Pescia
tel. 0572 429342
Right from the beginning the Park was conceived as a collective work by the great artists whose masterpieces help to follow the story, and not simply as a place of amusement.
The first works that make up the monument dedicated to the famous puppet date back to 1956. They are Pinocchio and the Fairy by Emilio Greco, a sculpture that, placed near the entrance to the Monumental Park, shows the puppet’s metamorphosis in a modern and fluid style, and the Little Square of the Mosaics by Venturino Venturi, an abstract yet narrative work that, using a synthetic language, illustrates some episodes from the puppet’s adventures.
The 21 sculptures in bronze and steel by Pietro Consagra and the constructions by Marco Zanuso instead date back to the 1970’s and recall instances from the plot of the Adventures; they are inserted in the imaginative route covering over a hectare of Mediterranean scrub designed by the renowned landscape architect Pietro Porcinai.
The monumental complex also includes the Hostelry of the Red Prawn, which now houses the restaurant of the same name; the building, carried out by Giovanni Michelucci, who also designed the furnishings, was completed in 1963. People venturing inside tend to feel that they have shrunk in relation to the spatial effect created by the sloping roof and the beams.